PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CAREFULLY TO PREPARE FOR YOUR AUDITION
ABOUT ONCE UPON A MATTRESS
In this musical version of The Princess and the Pea, Princess Winnifred is an ungainly, brash girl competing for the hand of Prince Dauntless, whose domineering mother Queen Aggravain has declared he must marry a "true" princess before anyone else in the kingdom can marry..
Auditions will be from 5:30-9 in the high school auditorium on Monday December 18th and Tuesday December 19th. Anyone signing up for just ensemble should attend from 5:30 to 7. Anyone auditioning for a part should arrive by 6:30. Auditioners may leave once their audition is finished.
CAST OF CHARACTERS
Please note, casting for this show will be gender blind, meaning every role is open to all auditioners. However, per licensing agreements, all parts must be portrayed as the gender they are written.
- Princess Winifred - She is not the “classical” princess in any sense of the word. Spirited and fun, gracious and friendly, and perhaps a bit quirky, she can swim moats, lift weights and prefers the swamps of home to a fancy castle. A3-F4 Mezzo-with strong belt.
- Prince Dauntless - A nice everyday type of Prince who desperately wants to get married and is held back by his mother. He is child-like, naïve, with a likeable sense of innocence. He adores “Fred” and is in awe of her every step. A2-Eb4 Baritone.
- Queen Aggravain - She is an overbearing woman in full control of the kingdom. She is lively and domineering, yet comical. She is very protective of her most prized possession, her only son, Dauntless and does not want him to get married. Heavy speaking requirements. A3- B4 Alto/Mezzo.
- King Sextimus - A kind, expressive, playful, and comedic character who is silent due to a curse placed upon him by a witch before the birth of Dauntless. He likes to chase girls through the corridors of the castle. Needs good improve skills. (Mute)
- Minstrel - The narrator of the story who also blends into the scenes. He has an air of confidence and enjoys telling the real story to the audience. A very likeable character and cunning when need be. He plots to spoil the Queen’s plan of preventing her son to marry “Fred”. D3-B4 Tenor.
- Jester - An energetic and peppy man/woman who is the King's right-hand and assists him with every endeavor. He has a hidden passion for show business and the “good old days” The Jester also plots with the Minstrel to spoil the Queen's plans. Tenor/ soprano.
- Sir Harry - He is a manly knight, the most influential in the kingdom, but also a bit of an egotist. He is desperate to find Dauntless a wife so he and Lady Larken can marry. He is chivalrous, brave, determined and a bit taken with himself. C3-F4 Baritone.
- Lady Larken - The queen’s lady-in-waiting. She is graceful, charming and in love with Sir Harry. She is very eager for Dauntless to marry so she can wed Harry before her little bundle arrives. She is eager to please and would never cause embarrassment to her love, Sir Harry. Eb4-G#5 Soprano.
- Wizard - An egotistical, ex-performer who directly serves as the Queen’s Loyal Confidante. He/she prides himself/herself in this position and basically obeys all of the Queen’s orders. Moderate speaking requirements.
- Nightingale of Salarkand - A royal pet that sings a lullaby to put Winnifred to sleep.
- Princess Number 12 - She is the first Princess that the audience sees who is performing the rounds of tests. Very eager, smart, thinks well on her feet – of course the Prince wants to marry her. Speaking lines.
- Ladies in Waiting: Lady Lucille, Lady Rowena, Lady Merril, Lady Giselle, Lady Mabelle
- Knights: Sir Studley, Sir Luce
- Dance Ensemble
TO SIGN UP FOR AN AUDITION
To audition, scan the QR code on the audition poster hanging throughout the building. Anyone who wishes to be in the show MUST audition.
Ensemble only audition (no speaking or solo singing):
- 16 bar selection of your choice.
Singing or speaking part audition:
- Prepare a thirty to sixty second MEMORIZED comedic monologue*
- 16 bar selection of your choice.
- Song below for the specific character you are auditioning for:
- Princess Winifred (2 songs): Shy Happily Ever After
**Any one auditioning for Princess Winifred should attempt to audition with a Southern accent**
- Prince Dauntless: Man to Man Talk
- Queen Aggravain: Sensitivity
- Minstrel: Many Moons Ago
- Jester: Very Soft Shoes
- Sir Harry: In A Little While
- Lady Larken: In A Little While
* Please note all monologues will be cut off at one minute. MEMORIZED monologue is required in order
to be considered for a role. Cold readings will be provided at auditions.
Rehearsals will begin in January 2024. Rehearsal schedule is available on the website - click on the menu above and then Cast Schedule.
Please note all rehearsals will be in the evenings between 6 PM - 9 PM and Sunday afternoons from noon until 5 PM.
- All main characters should be prepared to rehearse two to three nights a week from 6-9PM.
- All ensemble characters/dancers should be prepared to rehearse one to two nights a week from 6-9PM.
Once Upon a Mattress performances will be Friday, March 22nd at 7 PM, Saturday, March 23rd at 7 PM and Sunday March 24th at SHS. Mandatory rehearsals will be from Monday, March 11th thru Thursday, March 21st. You are highly encouraged to be available for all rehearsals from February 25th through March 10th. All who are cast are expected to attend all rehearsals as scheduled - this includes blocking, dance AND vocals.
Auditions will be scored using the following rubric:
Musical Audition Rubric